Going Green
Sixteen years ago my hubby and I were looking for a house to buy in a rural area. We wanted out of the big city and found this idyllic little town with lots of mountains and big trees. We saw many houses and were wondering how to choose. Then I found it, the house I wanted. It had dozens of trees, shrubs and flowers. The deal closer in my mind was the little green house. It was as small as a play house but with plenty of storage space and benches. I loved my little green house. As the years went by, this little house began to rot and fall apart. Last spring my hubby tore it down. It felt like loosing a friend.
Good bye sweet little shed... I will miss you. Then my stud muffin told me he would like to build me a new greenhouse... it will be easy! I found one in a magazine that was just beautiful and showed it to my hubby. I didn't think that he would make it the way it was in the picture, I just was using it as an example of my 'dream green house.' "Sure, O.K. " he says. No way I'm thinking. But soon Tom and the kids are creating my home away from home in the yard.
It is always good to have a lot of help when undertaking such a large project. What could make a mother prouder than to see children in tool belts?
With so many hands it didn't take much time at all. O.K., so it probably would have gone more quickly without having to explain every step and help little hands pound nails, but what fun would that be?
Now, just mere months later, this beautiful little oasis is in the yard calling me to get my fingers dirty and disappear for hours on end!
Isn't it a wonder to behold? Even if you despise gardening, you must see its alluring beauty! Now to go inside and see the space and light, sigh, I'm getting all choked up, so I'll just let you see for yourselves.
He even used the leftover granite from our kitchen remodel. It makes for quite a potting bench! It feels like such undeserved opulence!

I am pretty sure I am spoiled at this point! I need to christen it in a very special way... Not that way...yet. So I let my garden kitty get totally trashed with some home grown catnip on the potting bench
How can one endure so much happiness?


8 Comments:
wow. what a beautiful space! all that glass!
my brother built a little half-underground greenhouse in his back yard in oklahoma. it's a great space to sit and listen to the rain. he made it all of salvaged bricks and windows. it's very funky, but it looks like it's been there 100 years.
what a great husband you have. and kids, too!
What a sweet, sweet hubby...kiddos, too...and, of course, the kitty cat.
Love the ferns hanging. Can't wait to see what you grow in there.
awwww Devon... you should have joined the Fun Monday bunch today. This is/was the perfect post.
I envy your green house. I've been leaving little hints about how great it would be to have a removable one for our garden spot (very small)
Oh my that's just great, is your dream team for hire?
Laurie- I love old things, so an antique greenhouse would be very cool also.
Swampy- The garden kitty has more personality than any cat I have ever had! He got seriously evil after the catnip... I guess he is a mean drunk!
Pamela- I thought about joining in, consider this my fun Monday post!
Sharon - If we ever get to England we will help build whatever you want
oh man - I am quite envious. i want a greenhouse just like that! Very nice!
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
That is gorgeous! I wish I had the skills to build one of my own. I did build a chicken coop once and it was certainly snug enough-but not pretty.
Now, will you post more pictures when it's full of sprouts and dirt?
Post a Comment
<< Home