Marley, My Rastafarian Love
It all began five years ago. I rented booth space at a community yardsale in hopes of simplifying my life. My husband stayed home with our then 2 and 5 year olds. Things were going well, I could feel the clarity that comes with unloading all the chaotic junk that had previously filled my drawers and closets. Just as I was exhaling a self satisfied sigh, these two seemingly innocent children walk up to me with the most beautiful black puppy. They told me he was 8 weeks old, his mom was a chocolate lab, daddy unknown, and would I like to hold him. I took this baby in my arms and there was none of that wiggling around, peeing on me, nervous puppy behavior. He snuggled in and nestled like I was an overgrown chocolate lab. At some point I looked up and realized I had customers in my booth, and those sweet girls, well, they were gone.My children, with their keen insight, knew instantly that it would be a great idea to keep this puppy. My husband at times ignores his inner wisdom, he snarled a little, (hubby not puppy)and clearly stated keeping the wee one was a bad idea. But, by the next day I do believe he commented on such things as puppy cuteness and obedience and calmness, and this was before he fell in love! I chose to name him Marley, due to a two week honeymoon Tom and I spent in Jamaica. And for our adoration of Bob Marley.
Well, it has been many years since Marley came to live with us, but he has been, with out question, the best dog I have ever known. He is my companion on many solo hikes and days spent alone when the kids are at school and Tom at work. He makes me feel less crazy when I talk to myself, I just add, "isn't that right Marley?" at the end of a sentence.
A couple days ago, Marley and I went on a hike near our home. The lush green grasses have all turned brown in the past week. This didn't keep Marley from running through them. He came out sneezing as hard as he could. I figured he must have gotten a sticker up his nose. So off to the vet we went. I helped hold Marley as they poked and prodded up his nostrils. This was not successful, so then they decided to sedate him and continued their poking and prodding. At some point here, I noticed I was feeling a little light headed which I concealed well. Then the vet said she couldn't get to the sticker she felt sure was there due to Marley's sneeze reflex. So she said he needed general anesthesia with a tube in his lungs. At this point I broke out into a cold sweat, I was worried for my baby and my checking account. I also realized I could no longer hide my increasing discomfort and said I was going to leave the room. The vet teased me for having to leave the room despite the fact that I'm an RN and have seen plenty of scenarios that would curl your toes. Yes, but this is my baby!!! As it turned out, they did it all and found no sticker. The vet thought he may have swallowed it at some point. She felt bad that after all that they couldn't get it out. I joked that they should at least clean the plaque off his teeth while he was in the zone. They did it. So all in all, Marley got a very expensive teeth cleaning.
Here is Marley recovering from his sad ordeal. Poor baby! Oh, and by the way, the next day he began sneezing!

3 Comments:
I'm glad Marley is okay - you had me worried when I first started reading that it was going to be a post of "rembrance" to him.
He is a beautiful black lab - of course I am a bit partial, of course, owning 2 myself.
Thank goodness he is safe and well! We love our creatures as dearly as our humans in this house as in yours.
my black rottweiler was my best friend through some really tough times. He slept beside my bed, snored, farted and all those things .
He looked to me with such trust. I miss him to this day.
But can't seem to find the heart to get another one. Loving them is so easy, losing them is so difficult.
I'll love Marley along with you.
Post a Comment
<< Home