Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Value

I live in a small town and had an interesting conversation with an acquaintance who runs a little drive through caffeine shack. As I was sitting in my car it began like this:

Caffeine Lady: So, where are you working now?
Me: I'm staying at home with the kids now.
Caffeine Lady: Really? Well I guess that's O.K. if that's what you want to do.
Awkward silence as my Chai Latte arrives.

Then I did it! I gave in to that societal pressure that says a woman must have some form of a career to have true value. I told her about the publishing company I am starting and the book I am writing. Caffeine Lady's expression changed and in that instant, the hour or so I actually spend a week on my book increased my value ten fold!

I don't blame Caffeine Lady, it is the world in which we live. I just wonder how it came to be that schlepping coffee for 8 hours a day has become more respectable than raising children full time. If - when, this conversation arises in the future, maybe I'll just say I am a Gardener... not a total lie as I do spend a great deal of time in my gardens! Better yet, I'll just stick with Domestic Goddess... as far as label's go, it's not half bad!
Here is a picture of my latest pay check. I can't really cash it in anywhere, but for me, it is enough.


Labels:

10 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that's my kind of paycheck!!

You have the most important career in the world and don't let anyone tell you different!! The only downside of the motherhood career is that you can never retire. :)

I am thrilled that you are enjoying Libera!!!

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger ChrisB said...

I was also intending to say raising children is the most important job in the world. I planned to be a stay at home mum but circumstances meant I had to return to work when Sam was 7 and beccy 4 but I always felt guilty I wasn't always around when they needed me.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Tracey said...

Ah, hon...don't give in to society! You've got the most imortant job in the world, as Chris said. Caffiene Lady should have been ashamed of herself. Next time someone asks, just tell them you're blogging life, and have they got anything interesting to say to your adoring public?

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Angelina said...

I experienced the exact same thing so many times and it always really bugged me. I got the least amount of respect when I was a housewife without a baby. I guess a lot of people can kind of argue to themselves that you are at least being somewhat useful if you are raising babies, but what use is a woman who stays home but has no children?

Now that I have to work outside the home I get so much more respect. I kind of don't want to tell people I have a business because I think my work at home, both with and without the kid, was the most important work I have ever done. (plus being the most fun!)

If we ever get our enterprise off the ground and have a stable income, I'm going home again.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

You should have told her you are starting your own caffeine shack.

 
At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man!

Now see my hearts desire is to be at home. I have to work here with Brian because we can't afford help for him yet.

When people ask me what I do I say, "I am a telecommunications cordinator." (I can't spell it but I can say it.) Really I answer the phones for my husband but who knows?

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Devon said...

Wow guys, thanks for the support. I was wondering if someone would be angry at what I wrote!

I have friends who would be eatting prozac like candy if they stayed home full time. I also know more who wished they could. I am so fortunate to have a choice.

I just get irritated with the stay at home mom being put in the same category as unemployed welfare mom!

Thanks for your input!

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AGH - that woman should be slapped and forced to babysit my children for 36 hours straight without any coffee.

Nice rockwork.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Devon said...

Karmyn - Thanks, my hubby did it! He is one of those guys that can do or make anything. I am so spoiled!

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger young at heart said...

I have a useful saying for when the tiddlers become teenagers and argue at you all the time, 'oh well, a Mothers place is in the wrong'. Any time spent raising kids is time invested in the future and I regret not one minute of time spent with my children!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home