Burning Vacations
Last week I ran into a friend at Costco. She said that her family was going to Lake Tahoe for a week, they have a large two bedroom suite and asked if we would like to come by for a few days. After a day of schedule checking hubby and I decided absolutely!


We came through about 2 hours after the fire started and it was pretty close to the highways and towns. They closed the highway very soon after we got into town. It was great to visit with our friends and we did have a really good time. A lot of the restaurants and businesses were closed due to smoke. I sat by the pool and brushed the ash off me from time to time or just jumped into the hot tub to rinse. Seriously, it is very sad. Over 200 homes have been lost so far and we met many locals who had friends or family who lost homes.

We took our boat out on the lake and passed by the area of the fire.
From there we went into Emerald Bay and took a little detour on the island there, very pretty, although the smoke kept everything very hazy!
I love the rugged and weathered look of the trees in the Sierra's. This one has so much life in it... very beautiful!
We made it home on Tuesday afternoon just after the fire flared up again. We had a good time with our friends despite inhaling large chunks of smoke and ash! But... it is so good to be home! A last parting shot... one of my favorite birds, the Canadian Goose! They kept us company in Emerald Bay.


8 Comments:
OH, I am SO sad. Lake Tahoe is one of my most favorite places to visit. I recognize all the photographs. Love that little tea room on the island. I can't imagine what it's going to look like when we go back. My heart goes out to all those who have lost their homes. As I'm FINALLY visiting the Fun Monday posts, I just can't imagine losing what we posted the other day.
As far as your Fun Monday post...yes, I am nosy. What witch with a nose like mine isn't? Was so in hope of seeing your Karma Sutra collection. We both like Thich Nhan Hann. I have Thinking Peace. Must go buy Touching Peace as I saw it sitting on your shelves...which by the way, are very eclectic. Love them. One of my other favorites which we both have is "Women Who Run with the Wolves." Ah-h, you may be more like a witch than you ever thought.
So sad and scary about that fire - yikes. We keep getting warned that this could be the worst fire season in decades.
Glad you got to have some time to enjoy anyway!
It's a shame that the wildfires are destroying so many acres of beautiful land and homes.
I'm glad you still got in some fun time... and great photos, I might add!
thats been front page news. And your pictures are quite the thing, too!!
Goodness, what a shame, I think I will parcel up some of our extensive rain and send it to you. Fire and water so destructive!
You have some awesome photos! We vacationed that direction a few years back, actually made a big circle through 14 states but never got that close to the Colorado fires. It's weird how you can see the fires for miles and sad as you think about what is happening. All the now homeless families.
What a shame your trip away was affected by the fires and how sad for those people who lost their homes.
everyone else said what i wanted to say about the fire and the homes...
but i will say this: how can canada geese be your favorite bird??? around here they are so numerous and poop so much on the walking trails that they're kind of like rats.
i'm enjoying your blog.
Post a Comment
<< Home