Seriously, Enough Is Enough
O.K, if you read my last post then you might understand how forest fires fill me with fear to my toes. We got back from a smoke filled visit to Tahoe three days ago. I live in a very rural, currently very dry environment. When I was 19 my home was flooded and I lost almost everything. It was an experience I don't wish to repeat. So now the threat of forest fires seems quite high, and I have that common belief that it won't happen to me, couldn't happen twice in one lifetime.
Anyone who has been within 30 feet of a helicopter knows they generate this amazing wind called rotor wash. All I can say is thank God I had my bathing suit on! This pilot had a great sense of humor. After he filled his basket with water, he got an evil gleam in his eye and headed straight for son and I! The basket cleared us by about 15 feet dripping water, not to mention the a fore mentioned rotor wash. I'm still picking stickers out of my cover-up! Son got blown to the fence! But you know what, I feel like a real blogger now!

Yikes here he comes! I would have more pictures after the close encounter, but frankly I was trying to protect my camera and my son.... no, not in that order, really! 
Completely recovered, I decided it might be a good idea to go home before the attack helicopter returned. I need to make a list of what to take in the case of an evacuation, my son just brought his PS2 along with two controllers and put them on the table! I always knew where his priorities were. Who says I don't know how to have a good time on a Friday night! The ironic thing is my hubby, the 'firefighter' is at work an hour away.
I would love to hear your comments about what you would take if you had to evacuate?


10 Comments:
Wow - great pictures. You have earned my highest rankings as a blogger!!!! Cool spy pics - you were even injured getting the shots!!!!
what would I take? - I'd have to say my scrapbooks/pictures. (and make my husband carry the hard drive out - hee hee) AND - a couple pictures on my walls that are irreplaceable (a painting my great-grandma made and one my mom did)
those fly boys --- !!!!!!
He was flirting with you
GRRRRRRREAAT photogs.
And to think you overcame that fear to make sure we got to share in the excitement.
Much like Karmyn after my family I would take photos.
I'm impressed. You win the award for being the bravest and having the most exciting pictures.
I would take my dogs, photo albums and as many off the walls as I could, and my hard drive.
I AM GLAD YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ARE SAFE !
wow. amazing pix.
my sister used to have a vacation home in tahoe; beautiful area. so awful about the fires. i do hope you stay safe! (i found you via beccy's blog, btw.)
if i had to evacuate, i would take my dogs. of course.
Those are amazing photos. I'd probably grab my camera and like many others have said photos are precious so I'd take some of those and paintings that can't be replaced, if there was time.
Very good question. I guess that would depend on the urgency. My pictures are scattered throughout the house and at least on two computers so the pictures should be left where they are. I should grab my purse and the car keys then move the cars out of the driveway. Well, hopefully, I can remember the camera for the once-in-a-lifetime pics.
Interesting that you stopped to take pictures. We do not have forest fires here in this part of Indiana, but we do have tornadoes. When we have tornado warnings, I always look outside to try to get a tornado picture.
I hope that all is well wioth you today.
I hope you and your family are safe and no longer in a forest fire danger zone. I hope I never have to decide what to take in case of evacuation, but the first thing that comes to my mind is my dog and cat. And knowing me, I would be digging up plants from my garden...just in case I had to start over again!
Devon,
If you have a few seconds, be sure to visit...you are in the running for a Barnes and Noble gift card at my place.
Well, we had a house fire a few years ago, but it wasn't a forest fire heading our way which gives you a little time to think about what to evacuate with. It was an attic fire that flared up suddenly and in the moment the only important thing was getting out with the kid and praying the cat got out too because we couldn't find him.
The next day we were allowed to go back in and scavenge for some of the things we would need during the several months we would not be able to move back in. To be honest, I couldn't think of anything that really had to come with us. Mostly we brought clothes and toys to comfort our three year old, the kinds of things you take on vacation with you. Plus our important files,the ones that weren't destroyed.
We lost a lot of stuff but not nearly as much as some people lose. Some of it was precious to me, but I felt so lucky that none of us got hurt, including the cat, that I really didn't see how my photographs could be that important to me in the big picture.
Everyone is different though and for some people it's much more difficult to move on from their irreplaceable belongings.
Post a Comment
<< Home