Sacred Space
Last Summer I went on a family vacation to the midwest. It was a reunion of my husband's family. They are wonderful and I love to be around them. He has 5 older sisters, yet he will be the first to admit he does not understand women. How can that be? Anyhow, I digress, on this one particular afternoon I went to visit an Abbey complete with chanting monks. On this outing I was with my children and about a dozen of the female relatives including my wonderful mother-in-law.
The property was spralling with lush gardens and the most enormous stone building I have ever seen, it looked like the cathederals of Europe. My children asked if it was a castle. Everyone in our group are quite devout Catholics and I was afraid, just a little, that my munchkins might say something embarassing due to their lack of experience in a church. To be in this space felt spiritual, sacred, somehow closer to God.
When we entered the main Abbey it was so huge, so beautiful, think Maria and the Captain's wedding in The Sound Of Music! We all felt this reverence and immediately spoke in hushed wispers as we walked down the main aisle toward the pulpit where a bejewled throne like chair sat perched on an elevated step.
My darling daughter of 10 years was instantly drawn to the 'throne' as she asked if she could sit upon it. I searched my brain for church political correctness, as I could not recall any Inquisitions based on throne sitting, I allowed for a brief royal rest. DD thanked me in a whisper of a voice and made her way to the throne. She climbed up and sat with a look of pure joy only a child can possess.
Then it happened, my sweet offspring let loose with a fart that would make a trucker blush. It reverberated off the marble floor and marble walls and marble ceiling. At first everyone in the Abbey pretended to have not heard it, but then I began laughing so hard I actually fell down. Soon to be joined on the floor by my daughter with tears borne of laughter.
Good Lord, and to think I thought the embarrassment would come from something they might say! I am sure we are going to hell!


8 Comments:
TOO FUNNY!!!! I suspect those Monks have probably let a few too....
The only way this story could have been better if the farter had been YOU.
She made a joyful noise... what can I say.
She's my kind of girl.
We were visiting a long lost elderly aunt and Uncle when the kids were young. I drummed into them the manners and behaiviour that I expected from them, including the no farting rule! All was going well until Uncle Charles leant forward to reach the sugar off the table and let out a very noisy fart. How we did not all explode into laughter I do not know, I think it was my dagger look at the boys daring them to acknowledge it. We still talk about it twenty years on!
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord.
Painted a perfect picture by describing Sound of Music scenes.. !!
What ? They don't fart in heaven?
I love Vicki's comment, "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord." Well written story. Love the analogies and visualizations.
So funny and I'm sure the good lord has a sense of humour too.
Absolutely, God has a sense of humor!! I believe that with all my heart. Plus He created us bodily functions and all!
That story had me laughing out loud. I would have been on the floor laughing too.
Even though I'm not religious, I love beautiful churches.
Post a Comment
<< Home