The Fine Art Of Cooking
My cooking skills are moderate. Partly due to the fact that I grew up in a house of meat and potatoes and not a lot of exposure to adventurous cooking. Then I married a really great cook, a man who would slowly savor the first bite of our dinner and ask me to identify the spices used, (only if he couldn't identify them himself). Then upon learning the ingredients and methods used would only comment with..."hummm". After a few minutes I get antsy and ask that demeaning question, "well, do you like it?" The answer I most often heard was, " it's fine" not with deep meaning, such as, 'her eyes were so fine'.
*
I would become envious while eating at someone else's home, a good, yet not gourmet meal, and the hostess comments, "my husband just loves my 'spaghetti' (or whatever)". All the while thinking, my husband wouldn't. My DH has never to my memory said he loves anything I have cooked. It is usually ' just fine, or O.K.'.
*
The past several years DH has been working so many hours that he is too tired to cook and relys on my very basic meals to subsist. I have not enjoyed my own cooking. It is boring and kid friendly and lacks all excitement. Then this week I decided, I am intelligent. I can cook wonderful meals. I will not be deterred by picky children or any adult food snobs. I love you sweetie, but it is true!
*
I dug out my gourmet cook books, never before used, and planned my meals. I used the ingredients precisely, no substitutes. I have successfully made food that tastes so good it brings back memories of lovely dinners I used to share with my DH in fine restaurants before the arrival of the picky kids. We have feasted on Chicken Marsala, riced potatoes with olive oil and sauteed garlic, breaded Sole fillets, Par boiled broccoli sauteed with olive oil and garlic, tender green beans and Yukon potatoes. I am stunned that I am the chef of these meals. It has been relatively painless, except for the oil burns on my neck and chest, not to mention the second degree burn on left hand... it is a lovely blister now!
*
I will get even better with less bodily injury! The most amazing thing is, not only did my DH say that is has all been "very good", high praise indeed, but he has been having seconds! The kids are still picky, but I read somewhere that the waif look is in!


8 Comments:
I truly wish this was communal living... so cooking could be shared. Think how much fun it would be to come home to someone else's home cooked dinner.
Yours sounded scrumdillyiscious
I absolutely adore to cook, it is a passion of mine. Keep up the experimenting treat it like an art form. I have Morrocan Chicken cooking on the stove as I type!
Thank you for your good advise re-Mum, it,s a difficult time, if she will talk about it it will be with me as my Sister is athough a great girl a bit God fearing and will lecture Mum on heaven and such like!
Hey I've been doing the same thing recently.
Tomorrow I am posting a GREAT recipe.
You should try Rachel Ray's Express Lane cookbook. Easy and SO FREAKING GOOD you won't believe you made it!
Some friends of mine do the Rachel Ray plan - she has a grocery list for the entire week and menus for that week! I keep sayin' I'm going to try it, but I've got picky kids, too. I'd hate to go through the effort just to hear them say, "EWWWW! What is this?
Hey there "Devon". Very cool blog. I so enjoyed the pictures and knowing you are a techno queen. Good job! Decided against applying for the school position sice I can't quite swing the hours while Mattie is only in school half days, but it has certainly provided food for thought and I whould certainly consider it in the future.
xox Robyn
Another person cooking up a storm!!! yummy. I am very impressed.
Oh, my!! All that food sounds sooooo delicious!! I love to cook which is evident when observing my round figure.
sounds like menus 'fit for a king'
Post a Comment
<< Home