Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Very Dear Deer



I'm a bit of a pacifist. So concerned over the mistreatment and suffering of animals am I, that I have been an on again, off again vegetarian most of my adult life. Currently I'm off again, but have been eating less meat and my eggs must be free range. The irony is that I come from a family of ranchers and hunters...not including that Sicilian mafia thing.

I don't think that I am in any way rebelling. Lord I hope not, how self indulgent! My darling hubby is an avid hunter. Last fall when he went on his 10 day hunting trip hours away from our home, I went for a walk. As evidenced by the above picture, I am the only one who shot a deer. With my camera...of course!


I see more deer around my house during buck season than any other time of the year. They know they are safe here and settle in for a while. I know it is discouraging to hubby when he calls from his camp frustrated to go yet another year without even seeing a legal buck. I support him from my end of the phone, looking out my window smiling at these magnificent creatures!

7 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are gorgeous - but I prefer them in my neighbors yard where they can eat their plants and not mine!!!

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

their antlers look as though they are soft and fuzzy ??

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger Susan in va said...

I will agree - they are beautiful creatures. However, we are completely OVERRUN with them. I don't see many bucks, though - mostly just mamas and their babies. To see a buck in broad daylight is a RARE sight, so I enjoyed these pictures.

BTW, thanks for delurking ;)

 
At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh but they taste so good! Yes, they are beautiful but they taste good too.

I took pictures of deer just last night. White tail. I'll post this weekend.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Devon said...

I must clarify: My dog keeps them out of my garden and I have absolutly no guilt eatting them. I do enjoy a venison steak!

I don't have any qualms about eating wild game, just the poor pathetic creatures stuffed into cages and overcrowding.

I suppose I won't be nominated for a PETA membership.

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great "shots" of the dear deer. The town I grew up in was named Antlers. Initially, Antlers Spring because all the hunters hung the antlers at the spring. Later, spring was dropped from the name but the town grew around the spring.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger SongBird said...

Beautiful pictures! The deer often congregate around my house, too, where they know they are safe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home