Saturday, October 14, 2006

What's Your Sign?

I just returned from a wonderful get away ... just my hubby and I. We were celebrating our 20th wedding anniv. one month early. It was a great trip and so nice that after all this time we can still have fun together!!

I got to thinking, thank God I don't have to date! I would hate to be there at the age of 41! I began to remember some of my horror dating experiences! In high school I went to a concert 20 miles away with a very goofy guy, we only had music in common. It began to snow, very unexpectedly, on our drive home. We had to drive over a deserted mountail pass and the car started sliding toward the edge of the road. He had no clue how to drive in the snow. I kept telling him we need to put chains on and he insisted he could manage.

Well, it was slow motion, us slipping toward the edge, slow enough that I actually jumped out, in my little leather soled flats (it was the early 80's). I just remember following behind the car with soaking feet thinking "I don't even like this guy". Well it only got worse, he finally agreed we needed to chain up. The problem being he didn't know how to put them on. So, in my white flowing dress and ballet slippers, I put chains on his #*$$$#%** car!!! As we drove towards home he laughed and said we will always remember our FIRST date! You got it, there would only be one date. I, before anyone, knew men were from Mars and women from Venus!

This knowledge came to me once again, years later. I was working on an ambulance and got a call for an attempted suicide. I got to the home, police were already there and explained that a man had shot himself in the head with a rifle. I went into his garage and pronounced him dead, an easy call as there was pooling in his garage and I was standing in about two inches of blood. It was at this time that a handsome young police officer decides to chat me up and ask me out to dinner...I was still standing in two inches of blood! Sometimes I think I was the background research for the Mars Venus book!

Thank God for my hubby! He is good and ours is a happy life... and I know that the grass isn't any greener on the other side of the fence!

7 Comments:

At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh.... you are an amazon. I did that stuff in driver education and then never did it again.

It's been a long time ago - but I remember some of the dolts, too. Nothing quite that extraordinary, tho. You get the prize!

 
At 5:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Pam is right.You win! You know I bet your husband would know how to put on chains. I think that there is nothing my husband can't do. When he's around I never have to worry about that kind of stuff.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Karmyn R said...

I am thankful every day for my hubby too - because if something goes wrong underground, he's the one that will crawl under the house into the creepy crawl-space!!!

Fortunately, I do know how to put on chains - and I've been very lucky never to have stood in 2" of blood (yuck).

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger young at heart said...

I dated a six foot two inch tall delicious rugby player for a while. Trouble was I am only four foot eleven tall! so kissing was a problem unless I put a bucket on his head and swung on the handle!

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I might post here so you would get it quicker.
I left the cakes un covered over night so the frosting would get a little hard. Then you can put seran wrap on it without harming it too much.

Good luck! I want to see pictures!

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

What memories you conjure up. I remember a guy taking me to a porn movie at the drive-in-theatre. I went to the concession stand and called my Mom to pick me up on the highway. People told me he was banging on the restroom door trying to find me. He had on a purple shirt. To this day I can't stand guys in purple t-shirts! And that is just one stupid dork!

I praise God daily for my dear hubby. He is a definite keeper and yes, he knows how to put chains on tires!!

It is a small world! You have family in Wall. It is several hours from here and totally different terraine but I LOVE the big sky!

 
At 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

first I upload to flickr then bring them from flickr to my posting. have you used flickr before?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home